Saturday, June 4, 2011

Wednesday Is The New Saturday

Coke and Cupcake.
If you read my last post, you learned that $7 can go a long way for a night out, "LA Graffiti" style.  I actually went out the next night and out did myself.  I spent a whopping one dollar ($1) for live, vintage Cuban jazz, all-I-could-guzzle soda, a decadent chocolate cupcake and a caliente night of dancing with the girlfriend.

"Lies!  These are all lies!" you might exclaim; alas, if it is on the internet, it has to be true, right?

Because I went out on a Wednesday, parking was easy, close and free.  There's never a cover at The Edison and since it was a weekday in Downtown L.A., there was no line either.  We flashed our I.D.s, I complimented the doorman on his tie and down we went, into the vintage power plant that has been re-purposed into a classy bar with plenty of character.

I'm not sure if this happens all the time, but for certain on Wednesdays and Thursdays, the Edison offers designated drivers free sodas and an appetizer or dessert of your choice.  This is actually a really good deal because some of the appetizers can reach almost $15!  I initially thought that this offer was only for if you had a table and were eating dinner, but when I walked up to the bar and announced that I was the designated driver, the bartender immediately offered me a menu and told me to pick an appetizer or dessert.  I thanked him and passed him a dollar as he slid me my Coke (the soda, not the white powdery stuff).

You might even consider that my evening was free because the $1 went to tip the bartender, and wasn't actually a "required" fee for any entertainment.  Some people may argue that tipping is required, but I believe it should be based on service as so many service people have become lazy when it comes to customer service.  They sometimes even get upset when they don't get a 20% tip for their terrible service.  But that's to be discussed in another blog post.

The moral of the story?  Never anger a chicken that's crossing the road unless you have a birthday cake for him.

Get out more without breaking the bank!  If you don't believe me, "follow the paint" and see for yourself!

Subscribe to this blog on Kindle!